The puppies are the cutest creatures on earth and it is a lovely experience when you train a pup in her early life. If you are new to this the endeavor, perhaps you should begin by understanding that the real essence of teaching your puppy new tricks is so he can learn some manners. This may help him behave himself when you have guests, elder people or valuables at home that you won’t want him to mess with. Here are some simple tricks for you on how to train a puppy to sit.
- Using Treats
Your dog is very smart and he loves treats. Using treats will help you make him learn in less time.
- Show him the treat.
- Make him smell it.
- Move it to the back his head.
- Make him concentrate on it until he decides to sit and think how he shall get it from you, keeping his treat behind his head.
- Just as he sits give it to him.
Repeat this often, he will know that it is a good thing and he will be awarded if he sits properly.
- Say Sit
Whenever you are trying to make sit, say sit. He will associate the words with the action and will eventually learn that you are asking him to sit when you are saying “sit”. Don’t forget:
- To appreciate his actions, dogs love to impress their owners and make them happy.
- If you are appreciative of his behavior, he would love being trained for other things as well.
- Train them Physically
You may lean forward to him, caress him and push his back gently to make him sit. Use the words sit. Dogs are good at reading hand gestures, you can use them too. Make sure to:
- Swing your hand down when you want him to sit.
- Swing your hand upward when you want him to get up.
- Train them physically only when they have progressed in their training.
In order to train your puppy effectively, always make sure that he has your attention. If possible, refrain from getting him trained outside. This is because there are plenty of distractions outside and this may weigh down on his ability to master the skills for which he is trained. You also have to make sure that your dog is in the right mood and would not dislike being trained at the very moment. As we all know, the disposition is everything to our canine friends and when they are out of moods, they can barely do anything. For any training session, the dog’s comfort is very important so ensure he has the right training environment whether you are using treats or simply want to train him physically.